Monday, November 24, 2008

My Prodigy Daughter


When I was 10, almost 11, I did NOT draw like this!
My pencils were No.2 school pencils with hard erasers that made ugly, dark, red marks on my papers. When I painted, I used those white plastic water colors you could buy at Woolworth's (I'm from KY). The palette, if you could call it that, contained the primary colors...blue, red, yellow, an orange, a warm purple, black,
and white. We never had paper you could paint on. The standard white typing paper (yes...typewriters), or old construction paper (from Woolworth's). I didn't know anything about oil paints. Occasionally I smelled them at my Aunt's house when she was working on a painting. But, those were "adult" paints. Not for a 10 year old.

When my daughter was 18 months old she sat at my art desk and drew a perfect circle. Then another, and another. I thought, "Ok...Maybe 18 month olds can draw shapes." By the time she was 4 she was copying her Dad while he drew storyboards. It came naturally for her to tell a story on paper. She made sure to include anything that was important to the story...including props. Eventually we started her in a casual art class on the weekends. It quickly became her favorite place to go. She loved all of the different mediums. Now that she has been in that class for a while, she is in a class with adults. Her favorite medium is oil. And she loves to paint portraits of her favorite female actresses. This one is Liv Tyler from Lord of the Rings.

2 comments:

  1. She's eally something. Good thing she has parents who get it. Imagine if that talented young lady was born to people who think art is just about doodling and wasting time when you are supposed to be LEARNING.

    ReplyDelete